As the sixth largest city in Canada, Mississauga has a lot to offer its residents. One of my favourites? The city’s multiculturalism. I love walking through our city’s downtown or one of our neighbourhood parks and hearing the various languages being spoken!
When you consider the city’s diversity, plus its many offerings, it’s no wonder that so many newcomers settle in Mississauga!
Mississauga, Ontario – Among Canada’s Growing Immigrant Population
According to the 2017 census, 57 per cent of Mississauga residents is a visible minority. The majority of the city’s immigrants hail from either Asia or India and arrive as either an economic immigrant (selected for their ability to contribute to Canada’s economy) or a secondary applicant (a dependent of a principal applicant).
Although almost 50 per cent of Mississauga residents identify English as their first language, Chinese, Urdu, Polish, Punjabi, Arabic and Tagalog are the next most popular spoken languages.
The City of Opportunities
It’s not just me who thinks Mississauga is a wonderful place to live! In a 2017 report, MoneySense Magazine ranked the city at 128th on a list of 417 cities across Canada. And there are so many different reasons for that:
- Great Living Conditions: Besides its healthy population growth, a low crime rate and a high household income make the city a great place to put down roots.
- Good Weather: It’s hard to believe when we’re in the middle of winter, but Mississauga actually experiences relatively low snowfall compared to the rest of the country!
- Accessibility: The city’s close proximity to Toronto, access to various 400-series highways and accessible transit (GO Transit, Subway and MiWay buses) make it a convenient location.
- Multiculturalism: Because of our diverse community, there are plenty of restaurants, supermarkets and cultural events/festivals that can make you feel right at home.
- Expansive Green Space: Featuring almost 500 parks and woodlands, Mississauga has plenty of green space to explore.
Numerous Attractions in Mississauga, Ontario
Mississauga’s many attractions will help convince you to make this city your home! Some of my favourites include:
- Square One Shopping Centre (one of Canada’s largest malls) is only one of the reasons why this city is known as Ontario’s shopping capital.
- Woodbine Racetrack provides a world-class live horse racing experience like no other.
- At more than 650 kilometres long, The Waterfront Trail stretches from Niagara-on-the-Lake to Quebec and provides picturesque views of Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River.
When deciding if this city is the right place for you, why not plan a stay at Platinum Suites, the best furnished apartments in Mississauga? Experience everything the city has to offer from this short term rental’s location in the City Centre. Contact us today for more information!